It was narrated on the authority of Umar (may Allah be pleased with him), who said
While we were one day sitting with the Messenger of Allah ﷺ, there appeared before us a man dressed in extremely white clothes and with very black hair. No traces of journeying were visible on him, and none of us knew him. He sat down close by the Prophet ﷺ, rested his knee against his thighs, and said, “O Muhammad! Inform me about Islam.”
|The Messenger of Allah ﷺ said, “Islam is that you should testify that there is no deity except Allah and that Muhammad is His Messenger, that you should perform salah, pay the Zakah, fast during Ramadan, and perform Hajj to the House, if you are able to do so.”
The man said, “You have spoken truly.” We were astonished at his questioning him (the Messenger) and telling him that he was right, but he went on to say, “Inform me about iman.”
|He ﷺ answered, “It is that you believe in Allah and His angels and His Books and His Messengers and in the Last Day, and in qadar (fate), both in its good and in its evil aspects.” He said, “You have spoken truly.”|
|Then he (the man) said, “Inform me about Ihsan.” He ﷺ answered, “It is that you should serve Allah as though you could see Him, for though you cannot see Him yet (know that) He sees you.”|
He said, “Inform me about the Hour.” He ﷺ said, “About that, the one questioned knows no more than the questioner.” So he said, “Well, inform me about the signs thereof.” He said, “They are that the slave-girl will give birth to her mistress, that you will see the barefooted, naked, destitute, the herdsmen of the sheep (competing with each other) in raising lofty buildings.” Thereupon the man went of. I waited a while, and then he (the Messenger of Allah) said, “O Umar, do you know who that questioner was?” I replied, “Allah and His Messenger know better.” He said, “That was Jibreel (the Angel Gabriel). He came to teach you your religion.”
Our Journey through Hadith Jibreel
Hadith of Jibreel
The Necessity of Adab – Part 2
- How can I embody adab in my pursuit of knowledge?
- What is the greatest impediment to acquiring and implementing adab in my daily life?
- How does adab increase my ability to reap the benefits of communal learning?
The Necessity of Adab – Part 1
- Re-Read the Hadith Jibreel and try to identify 8 types of Adab modeled in that scene
- Find the Hadith Jibreel.
- Print it out. Put each part of the Hadith on a piece of paper.
- Reflect on it from your heart.
- Ask one essential question: What am I supposed to learn from this part?
- For next week: Look at the scene.
- Take each part of the scene apart and try to explore and discover its meaning.
What is Islam?
- How can I connect myself to the Essential Truth of Islam?
- How is Islam relevant to the challenges I face in my life?
- What does Prophet Muhammad (saw) mean when he advises us to travel gently through this Deen?
“Re”defining Deen – Journeying Through the Hadith of Jibreel
Shaykh Yasir discusses the underlying ideas behind the khutbah series.