It was narrated on the authority of Umar (may Allah be pleased with him), who said
While we were one day sitting with the Messenger of Allah ﷺ, there appeared before us a man dressed in extremely white clothes and with very black hair. No traces of journeying were visible on him, and none of us knew him. He sat down close by the Prophet ﷺ, rested his knee against his thighs, and said, “O Muhammad! Inform me about Islam.”
|The Messenger of Allah ﷺ said, “Islam is that you should testify that there is no deity except Allah and that Muhammad is His Messenger, that you should perform salah, pay the Zakah, fast during Ramadan, and perform Hajj to the House, if you are able to do so.”
The man said, “You have spoken truly.” We were astonished at his questioning him (the Messenger) and telling him that he was right, but he went on to say, “Inform me about iman.”
|He ﷺ answered, “It is that you believe in Allah and His angels and His Books and His Messengers and in the Last Day, and in qadar (fate), both in its good and in its evil aspects.” He said, “You have spoken truly.”|
|Then he (the man) said, “Inform me about Ihsan.” He ﷺ answered, “It is that you should serve Allah as though you could see Him, for though you cannot see Him yet (know that) He sees you.”|
He said, “Inform me about the Hour.” He ﷺ said, “About that, the one questioned knows no more than the questioner.” So he said, “Well, inform me about the signs thereof.” He said, “They are that the slave-girl will give birth to her mistress, that you will see the barefooted, naked, destitute, the herdsmen of the sheep (competing with each other) in raising lofty buildings.” Thereupon the man went of. I waited a while, and then he (the Messenger of Allah) said, “O Umar, do you know who that questioner was?” I replied, “Allah and His Messenger know better.” He said, “That was Jibreel (the Angel Gabriel). He came to teach you your religion.”
Our Journey through Hadith Jibreel
Hadith of Jibreel
The Struggle of Youth & the Importance of Empathy
- When my children question their commitment to being Muslims, do I threaten them with rejection and withdrawal of my love, or do I listen to their concerns?
- Do I elevate my cultural/national/tribal allegiances above Qur’an and Sunnah when it comes to marriage options for my children?
- Do I present and embody Islam with confidence, dignity, and honor?
The Science of Aqida
- Which method of Islamic scholarship in the study of Aqida has been most beneficial to me as I seek to manifest my Iman in the world?
- How much time in a day do I devote to learning about Allah?
- What can I do to increase the ways my Iman manifests in my day to day life?
What is the Reality of My Iman?
- How does my Iman inform the various aspects of my life?
- Have I applied my intellect, ability to reason and reflect to my Iman?
- What movements and social trends have I embraced that compromise my Iman?
The Importance of Fiqh
- How can I take greater responsibility for living my life within the boundaries Allah has established for humanity?
- What am I willing to give up to make sure I am fulfilling my Fard al-Ayn?
- How often do I ask questions in matters of Fiqh, rather than rely on my subjective opinion?
The Spiritual Logic of Surrender
- How can I cultivate the spiritual muscle of surrender in my life during each of the first 10 days of Dhul Hijjah?
- When the world (dunya) tells me my acts of worship (ibadah) are illogical, how do I access the spiritual logic of surrender?
- Have I given the command of Allah to perform the sacred rite of Hajj the priority in my life that it requires?
Righteousness is Built Through Giving
- What fears prevent me from giving more generously and consistently?
- What am I willing to give to attain righteousness?
- How will I use the remaining days of Ramadan to demonstrate I believe in Al-Razzaq?
The Kalima: The Word that Sent Shockwaves Throughout the World
- When I say La Ilaha Ilallah Muhamadur Rasulullah do I feel it in my heart?
- What things in this world have I elevated to idol status?
- What am I willing to do make the Kalima of La Ilaha Ilallah Muhammadur Rasulullah inform and motivate every aspect of my life?
A Brief History of the Origin of Islamic Law
- How am I fulfilling my responsibility to know what Allah expects of me?
- Why is it important to recognize the legitimacy of differing opinions in matters of Deen?
- What is the possible consequence of following the opinions of unqualified people?
islam: The Outer Dimensions
- What can I do to use my physical self to benefit Allah’s Creation?
- How often am I using my tongue in other than the remembrance of Allah?
- What parts of the body can be instruments of self-oppression?
Sanad: Chain of Narration
- How does the Hadith of Jibreel teach us to verify what we know about our Deen?
- How is the Sunnah as reported in broadly narrated and transmitted (mutawattir) Hadith essential to the preservation of the fundamental elements of our Deen?
- Why is it dangerous to accept “knowledge” of our Deen from sources that are disconnected from the meticulous scientific methodological approach to Islamic scholarship?